Applications, Form & Fees

Submitting a Building Application

Lodgement of a Building application can be undertaken through one of the following methods.

  • In person
  • Post
  • Email

In person

If submitting your application in person, the Shire of Capel is located at 31 Forrest Road, Capel.

We are open 8:30am – 4:30pm – Monday to Friday


If submitting your application via post, send mail to PO Box 369, Capel WA 6271


If submitting your application via email, send it to

Building Forms

If you want to undertake building work in the Shire of Capel, information is available to help ensure your project is safe and compliant.   

Before you start, there are some approvals you need to secure.  

Read the Western Australian Building Act (2011) and the Building Regulations (2012) for more information on which building works need building permits and the compliance standards they must follow.  

All building works must comply with the National Construction Code (NCC), which includes the Building Code of Australia (volumes one and two) and the Plumbing Code of Australia (volume three). 

Current legislation allows for building applications to be submitted as either certified or uncertified applications. 

If you would like to know what building approvals are in place for your property, please submit a Building Permit Plan Search Request Form.

This also provides you with the option to order copies of the existing approvals and plans.

Download a Buidling Permit Application Form to start your approval process.  

Read the building information sheets & checklists to learn more.  

Buildings & Structures webpage

Building Fee Schedule

Building Fee Schedule for 2023/24

Building Permit Plan Search Request

The Shire of Capel will, where possible, provide copies of approved building plans on request to building owners. The Shire does not have a complete historic record of all structures within its District. Plans may not be available in some circumstances.

With more recent records we can provide copies of the following information:

  • Site plan
  • Floor plan
  • Elevations plan
  • Footing details
  • Structural plans
  • Housing Indemnity Insurance

Copies of house plans should be passed to your real estate agent when selling your property so that prospective purchasers can see that all structures on the property have been approved by the Shire of Capel. This check is not conducted when an Orders and Requisitions request is submitted.

Who can request copies of building plans?

Only the owner or mortgagee is generally entitled to view or request copies of the Shire’s building records.

The owner includes:

  • the person shown in the Shire’s records as being the owner; and
  • a person who is authorised in writing by the owner.
  • The Shire of Capel will require proof of identity upon collection of the plans.

How much does it cost?

An application fee for the search and copying of the plans will be payable upon collection of the plans.

Fees apply for electronic copies of plans ($54.10 for all plans or $23.90 for Site plans only). Additional fees apply for the Shire to print out the plans for you.

For very large sets of plans, the Shire may charge printing costs as per our fee schedule. We will advise you what this fee will be before proceeding. Please call us on 08 9272 0222 for more information. 

You can pay the fees in person, by credit card over the phone, or send in a cheque.

To request your Copy of House Plans, please complete the Building Permit Plan Search Request Form and submit it to the Shire.

Please allow ten (10) working days for processing.

Water Corporation

Building Plans need to be submitted to the Water Corporation for approval before building any type of structure on your property.  Water Corporation need to check your plans to ensure proposed buildings are not constructed over, or too close to their assets.

Visit the Water Corporation website for more information.