Food safety

Working with you to make your business food-safe. Find our about our routine inspection and hand advice.

Food business

We’re working with and educating our community about safe food practices. Here are a few things you should know… plus some handy information.


If you sell or prepare food for the public – we’ll conduct a food and hygiene assessment. You must comply with the requirements of the Food Act 2008 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.

Residential preperation

Food preparation from home is limited to low-risk foods –  such as cakes, biscuits and jams. You’ll need a separate facility to prepare high-risk food.

Forms and info

Some information and forms to make sure you’re compliant:

Free online training

You need to demonstrate safety knowledge under the Food Act. We’ve partnered with FoodSafe® – so you can upskill for free (normally $35).

Get started

Get started in 3 simple steps

  1. visit FoodSafe’s website
  2. add the product to cart
  3. enter code FSCAPEL367

About the program

You’ll learn about food hygiene, safety and record keeping.

The course is a simple way to meet your food safety obligations.

You can download a certificate of completion from FoodSafe if you’ve already completed the course.

Mobile food businesses

We want to see your business grow. Make sure you’ve got the right approval to trade in the Capel region.

Handy documents

If you want to trade in the Capel region – make sure you’re up-to-date with our policies and local laws,

You’ll also need to apply for a permit to trade.

pexels-steshka-willems-2553651 (2)