Building Services

Everything you need to know about building in the Shire. Find building applications, permits, pool safety and more.

All other Statutory Approvals are required prior to lodgement and any relevant conditions met.

The Shire of Capel acts as a permit authority for the purpose of the Building Act 2011, and is responsible for the control of building and building-related activities within its area of jurisdiction.

The following pages provide a range of information to assist you with understanding the building process and your building application requirements:

If additional information is required, Building Services can be contacted on (08) 9727 0222, or you can email us at

Building approval process

In Western Australia, a building permit is required before any building work can be carried out and can be obtained from a permit authority (local government) for the location where the work will take place. The Building Act 2011 defines what is building work and sets out the process for obtaining a building permit.

The Building Act requires the person named on the permit as the builder to ensure that the building is completed in accordance with the plans and specifications approved in the certificate of design compliance and in accordance with the building permit. The Building Act also prescribes the building standards, and the person named as the builder on the building permit is responsible for ensuring compliance with the applicable standards.

When you apply for a building permit, you must consider whether to lodge a certified application or choose to lodge an uncertified application. In either case, a signed certificate of design compliance (CDC) is required before approval can be given. A CDC confirms that a building’s design complies with the applicable building standards.

A certified application is where you engage a registered building surveyor to complete a CDC before the application for a building permit is submitted. The CDC will need to accompany the application for a building permit certified Form BA1. If all other required approvals have been obtained, the permit authority has 10 business days to approve or reject your application. Applications for class 1b and Class 2 to 9 must be lodged as certified applications. Applications for Class 1a and 10 may be lodged as certified applications or uncertified.

An uncertified application can only be lodged for Class 1a and 10 residential buildings using a Form BA2. Once your application is submitted the permit authority will assess compliance with the Building Code of Australia and complete the relevant certification (CDC) before it can grant a building permit. The permit authority has 25 business days to approve or reject your application. For a timely approval it is important to ensure plans and specifications submitted with your application demonstrate compliance with the Building Code of Australia and all other relevant approvals have been obtained before your application is submitted.

The Building Commission has prepared a guide that outlines the types of permits that can be obtained and the roles and responsibilities of those involved. It highlights opportunities to ensure a smooth and efficient approval process through simple and practical advice.

Handy resources

Building Commission

Can help you with licensing and registration, administration of legislative framework, dispute resolution, and industry information. Find out about:

  • Becoming an owner-builder
  • Finding registered building services providers
  • Dividing fences
  • Building approval forms
  • Building legislative framework

Water Corporation

Building Plans need to be submitted to the Water Corporation for approval prior to building any type of structure on your property. 

Water Corporation need to check your plans to ensure proposed buildings are not constructed over, or too close to their assets.

Building Commission

Access the National Construction Code (NCC) and future editions freely online.

The free 2016 NCC includes Volume One (Building Code of Australia for Class 2 to Class 9 Buildings); Volume Two (Building Code of Australia for Class 1 and Class 10 Buildings); Volume Three (Plumbing Code of Australia); and the Guide to Volume One.

Inspections and testing

Pool safety

The Shire of Capel, as a permit authority, inspects all swimming pools and spas upon completion to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations 2012, and AS 1926.1-2012 (Safety Barriers for Swimming Pools).

The Shire is also required to inspect all approved swimming pool and spa barriers/enclosures on a periodic basis, to ensure continued compliance in accordance with the Building Regulations 2012.

Occupancy Permits (Class 2-9)

The owner of a newly completed Class 2 to 9 building is required to obtain an Occupancy Permit before the building is occupied.

Inspections and tests are required to be conducted during, and on completion of construction of all Class 2 to 9 buildings, in line with the Building Regulations 2012 and the conditions of the building permit.


It is not a legislated requirement for inspections to be conducted on other buildings or structures under construction, unless it is noted on the Permit conditions. Conditions on the Permit may request the builder to notify the permit authority at different stages of construction.

The permit authority’s delegated officers have the authority to enter any property within the Shire for the purpose of inspecting any building-related matters.


Buildings and structures have different classifications under the Building Code of Australia. The most common classifications for residential properties are:

Class 1a – a single dwelling being:

  • a detached house
  • one of a group of two or more attached dwellings, each being a building, separated by a fire-resisting wall, including a row house, terrace house, town house or villa unit

Class 10a – a non-habitable building being a private garage, carport, shed, or the like

Class 10b – a structure being a fence, mast, antenna, retaining or free-standing wall, swimming pool, or the like