Local Government Elections
Ordinary local government elections are held every two years on the third Saturday in October.
The 2021 election for the Shire of Capel will be conducted as a postal election, with a Returning Officer appointed by the WA Electoral Commission.
Four positions will be contested at the election on 16 October 2021.
The 2021 election timetable can be found at: 2021 LGE Postal timeline.pdf (elections.wa.gov.au)
Information for Candidates:
To be eligible to stand for election as a Council member you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Be an elector of the Shire of Capel;
- Not be nominating as a candidate in another election; and
- Complete the mandatory online induction course.
The 2021 nomination period for candidates opens on Thursday 2 September 2021 and closes Thursday 9 September 2021 at 4pm.
Prior to lodging your nomination with the Returning Officer, the Local Government Act 1995 requires that you complete a candidate induction. This must be completed online via the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries’ website: Induction for prospective candidates | DLGSC
Contact the Returning Officer:
Returning Officer: Pascoe Durtanovich
Mobile: 0427 160 276
A Candidate Information Briefing was held in the Council Chambers on 31 August 2021, with presentations from:
- Shire of Capel CEO Gordon MacMile:
- Department Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries:
- West Australian Local Government Association:
- West Australian Electoral Commission:
- Christine Terrantroy Profile (PDF 66KB)
- Ashley Dillon Profile (PDF 56KB)
- Jon Starling Profile (PDF 65KB)
- Doug Kitchen Profile (PDF 68KB)
- Ross Slater Profile (PDF 69KB)
- Peter McCleery Profile (PDF 55KB)
- Terri Sharp Profile (PDF 73KB)
Call for Nominations
An Ordinary Postal Election will be held on Saturday, 16 October 2021 in the Shire of Capel to fill the following vacancies:
4 Councillors – 4 year term
Nominations Open on Thursday, 2 September 2021
Nominations Close at 4:00 PM Thursday, 9 September 2021
Nominations must be lodged with the Returning Officer:
- at any time during the above period by arrangement; or
- between 2:00pm and 4:00 PM Thursday, 9 September 2021 (close of nominations) at the Shire of Capel, Forrest Road, CAPEL.
Please see the attached document from the Western Australian Electoral Commission for full details: